Wednesday, October 15, 2008

National Novel Writing Month


Well, should I or shouldn't I?

I am so tempted to join the NaNoWriMo, which is a challenge to write a novel in the month of November.

Once I saw that there was a book connected to this "event" called "No Plot? No Problem!" I thought, "Well, why not?"

Why not, indeed. As I write this, I'm procrastinating, yet again, on my I'd-rather-kill-myself-than-do-it schoolwork. If I was part of NaNoWriMo, I could be working on that and not beating myself up as much. I'd still be beating myself up somewhat, to be sure.

This one class is a killer for me. I think back to my days in school, years upon years ago (but not eons), and remember there seemed to always be one class that was a problem, one class that would hang me up. I forgot about that.

I must slog through it. Maybe I should put on my muck boots. I've got all my notes in front of me and a paper to write. What is it about, you may ask. . .FILING. I kid you not.

Please, introduce me to someone who finds the subject of filing interesting. I would like to meet that person. Then again, maybe not.

Now, should I try to write a bad novel in the month of November? The website says, "Quantity, not quality"! That I know how to do!

Image note: At least these filing cabinets (from the UK) are not that beige color that all desktop computers used to be. What a hideous color! I always think that particular beige looks like an off white that's been subjected to years of cigarette smokers toiling away in dingy rooms.

Update: It's now only a bit over an hour later and I've written my paper. That didn't take too long! Now I'm going to type it (yes, I write papers in long hand!). I'm concerned that I've written in "Palinese". Doesn't that sound like a real language? What it means is this: I wrote five pages of nonsense that masquerades as a term paper. Here's the scary part: I've done this one time before and noone noticed. If I was the instructor, I'd fail me.

When I'm finished typing, if it is truly, truly awful, I'll re-write it. You'll know. I'll even tell you all my grade.

Second update: It's 2:33 and I'm done. The paper is not half bad, which makes me very nervous, because whenever I think something I've done is lousy, I get a good grade (or in the sphere of art, others like it). What does that say about me (or others)? So, maybe I'll get a really bad grade on this one.

At least the end of this class in finally in sight. The dark clouds are opening and I see the light! Hallelujah! Doesn't that word look odd in print?

Speaking of Hallelujahs, Palin is going to be here in Maine this week. I will not be going to see her. It'd scare the beejeesus out of me.

No comments: