Thursday, April 2, 2009

Ch ch ch changes


I've eliminated the tags on my posts. I'm not going to go back and hand delete the old ones, but if you look in the sidebar, the list of tags is gone. According to Google analytics, no one was using this feature. Besides, I've had a hard time tagging my posts. If you want to find something, just use the search blog feature.

I was going to write that the first person who correctly identified the song lyrics to this post will win a prize, but I still owe one person a gift from a past "contest." Besides, doesn't everyone know where "ch ch ch changes" comes from?

This leads me to something I've been thinking about. I've been listening to more music on the radio lately. Until last month, I listened only to NPR talk radio while in the car. I've been doing a lot of driving, and have discovered that listening to loud music is good for me and keeps me alert. I wanted to hear new stuff, so I thought that the radio would be good.

Now, I don't know what other states are like, but here in Maine, rock radio seems to have an awful lot of old music on it. I am nearly astounded at how often ZZ Top, AC/DC, and Led Zeppelin are played. Where's the new music? It is rare that I hear something I haven't heard before, and I am completely not plugged into what's current. Sure, there's new music on pop radio, but what about rock? There is plenty of new music! Unfortunately, there's no college station that makes it way up to where I live.

Photo note: David Bowie in 1974. Did everyone look awful in the 70's?

3 comments:

jmcleod76 said...

I've noticed this problem, too. The musical climate in Pittsburgh was very similar to here - all classic rock all the time (including a one-hour block of Led Zeppelin at least one a week - here it's called the "Zep Set," there it was "Getting the Led Out"). But we did have college stations, and the public radio station - which mostly played "adult contemporary" - could be relied on to pull out some new rock sometimes, too. Lately, I only discover new music through friends, which is usually local stuff or uber-indie stuff (as in literally _no one_ has heard of them).

Websafe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie H. Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.