Sunday, September 14, 2008

Buddy, can you spare a dime?


This'll be brief (gasp!) My depression was becoming severe and debilitating. I'm not feeling wonderful but I'm feeling better. Why? Well, at 3:00am on either Friday night or Saturday morning (whichever way one is coming at it) I learned how to do the "Magic Loop" method of knitting in the round. I would normally say "skip this entry" to those of you who don't knit, but since I'm not going to give a tutorial, feel free to stay.

Periodically, I contend that being interested in "everything" is a remedy for depression, but I think it's fair to say that if I were to use my blog (and my life) as evidence of this theory, that is appears to be not all that true. But then again, what if I weren't interested in anything? Hmmm. Well, I wouldn't be me, so I can't really say, can I? If I were still me, and I wasn't able to engage in doing anything, or reading, I would be stupendously depressed.

What's even better than just being interested in things (art, politics, nature, the world. . .) is learning something new. By 4:00am on Saturday morning, I was having a ball! It was the best couple of hours I'd had all week. Unfortunately, I thought "Oh, this is a turning point! I'm going to have a great weekend!" Nah. It didn't work out that way, and besides, those kinds of expectations are the kiss of death.

But I did make a pair of pulse warmers for my hands, traditionally called "Wristers" in northern Maine (photo above). These are real fingerless gloves. No knitter in their right mind back in the old days would have wasted their time knitting five short fingers. That's hard knitting, and these babies took about an hour and a half to make, at most. They are warm.

Are you depressed? Make something. It feels good.

No comments: