Sunday, July 8, 2012

Hello again


In spite of the fact that I haven't blogged for approximately a year, and the fact that no one was leaving comments, I'm returning to blogging. I suppose now I'll be simply screaming into the wind, but I need to scream somewhere in the virtual world. If I don't start expressing myself, I might start screaming into the wind here in the town I live in (aka The Real World), and that could lead to an arrest. Not a good idea.

Many topics continue to irk me, simply interest me, and/or obsess me. Here's a preview:

1. Believe it or not, the lack of decently fitting bras continues to be at the top of the list. Why on earth does one have to spend over sixty dollars for a decent bra? Why is my size so darned hard to find?! I have a lot of thoughts on this subject, believe it or not. I also have a fantasy of starting a bra company. Like other good ideas I've had in this lifetime, I won't do a thing about it.

2. Americans still think hitting children is a good idea. I've seen this odd sentiment on Facebook in the last week or so: "I'm afraid of a world run by adults who weren't spanked as children." Really? The fact that the world is run by people who were abused as children scares me more.

3. I've come to the conclusion that any rules-based ideology or theology is a truly lousy idea. This is a complex subject. I can't sum it up, even here, in a few lines of near wit.

4. The weather is horrible. The prospects for jobs, housing, making ends meet (etc.) for those of us who aren't wealthy are Not Good. Yet, people are still acting like nothing is wrong. Huh?

5. Last but not least, I continue to marvel over how romantic and optimistic I can be in spite of all sorts of terrible things. This might be an answer to the #4 question, but since I also have some of the most seriously negative world and personal views, I suspect something else is at play.*

Image note: Cool bottle, Lady Gaga. Sad to note (but no surprise) that your perfume is yet another pallid celebrity scent. Wouldn't it have been edgy if she had teamed up with Lutens or something? I mean, SL has a gold plated toilet, so he gets the over-the-top thang. Read more here.

*Believe me, there are way more than 5 things that I'd like to rant write about after one year. . .this is but the tip of the iceberg.

9 comments:

Katy Josephine said...

Hi Julie and welcome back! It's good to take a break from blogging...and good to come back. And I couldn't agree more about bra shopping. How can my breasts be this difficult to fit? Annoying indeed. Glad you're back - count on me tagging along.

Julie H. Rose said...

I did not expect anyone to notice I'd put up a new blog post. Cheers, Josephine! Glad you're going to "tag along!"

TMC said...

I can always count on you to share your kvetching in some form or another. : )

Amy said...

I just tried to buy a bra online and was informed that my size would not be in stock until OCTOBER! Clearly this is a topic in need of attention.

Julie H. Rose said...

Complaining about bras=kvetching. Being disturbed by people who think spanking is mandatory for public leaders is something else entirely.

I suspect people are more amused by my kvetching about bras. Oy! I promise I'll write more about bras, though. The one I have on is giving me agita.

Susan said...

After spending hundreds of dollars on many bras, I found one that has no wires, no hooks.....so no jabbing anywhere....and they come in a pack of 2 for $9.99!..you can find them at all sorts of stores..Bandini by Hanes....it works for me!
http://www.hanes.com/clothing/women/bras/wirefree-bras/new!-hanes-comfortflex-fit--153%3B-bandini-bra-2-pack

PetitPoix said...

I am so uninspired to blog lately myself. I am so glad you are back! Hope we both get inspired again!

jmcleod76 said...

As always, I'm late to the party. But I'll throw my voice in here if it means you'll keep blogging (and I'll check in more frequently if you do).

And, I'll bite on the hitting kids thing. I couldn't agree more. I get so sick of hearing people say things like, "A good spanking would cure that attitude." I was hit as a child. No, not "beaten" in the sense that I had bruises or broken bones or anything like that, but smacked around. It made me a very insecure, angry, defensive, mistrusting person for a very long time.

I don't think children should be made to feel like they walk on air or are the most important people in the whole world. Instilling manners and respect for everyone - not just "elders" - is crucial. But you don't instill respect by hitting. Archaic Biblical language aside,"fear" is not the same as "respect."

Safety is is second most basic level on Maslow's hierarchy of needs, and a kid who gets hit will not feel safe, which can then stunt their development in other areas.

Julie H. Rose said...

The party didn't really take off, Jaime. As you can see, I wrote this on the 8th of July, and it's now the 20th of August. I've been thinking about writing for the last week. . .okay, more than a week, now. . .

Some say that kids who did in fact have bruises could deal with it easier: a bruise is obvious, and obviously wrong. I'm on a phone queue as I write this, so I can't do this subject (and you) the justice it deserves.