Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Way


When I noticed that my last post included various forms of the word hate, I figured it was time to re-post another entry from my abandoned blog:

The Great Way is not difficult

for those who have no preferences.

When love and hate are both absent

everything becomes clear and undisguised.

Make the smallest distinction, however,

and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart.

- from the Faith in Mind Sutra

I was looking over my posts and noticed that I use the expressions "I hate" and "I love" an awful lot. It's interesting to notice it. One other thing I notice is that as some of my notions of what I "love and hate" fall away, I am getting more creative. For instance, there was a time I would have not, absolutely not, put glitz or fringe on anything. Period. I "hated that kind of thing". Well, now I just make stuff and see what happens. Funny what places one finds Zen. Everywhere, actually. Not just on the cushion, that's for sure. And lately for me, that's the last place I'm finding it!

Photo note: You may have asked yourself, "what does this bunch of beads have to do with Zen?" Nothing, except I made it (a necklace) last Spring, when I started allowing myself to try things I've always thought weren't "me", as mentioned above.

No comments: