Monday, May 5, 2008

In which I swoon



Alas, I do not look like the woman above, but for one incredible moment I felt like her. I just received seven 1ml samples of fragrance. This will be a short post (really, from me?!):

Upon opening L'artisan's Dzongkha I said out loud (much to my surprise), "Oh my god." It was so shockingly wonderful to me that I delayed applying any to my wrist for I am about to shower. I wanted to write this down, so I'm not in the shower quite yet (that would be some feat, eh?) I can't even tell you what I smelled! Sheer pleasure is all.

I swooned. I've swooned before, but never over a perfume. I remember my first swoon (and my first boyfriend): Shockingly, in the driveway of my parents' home, after not seeing him for a month, I was intoxicated by his scent. My face on his neck, I drank it in and felt a shiver of complete and utter lust and longing move through my body. I thought I might fall down. Yes, I was weak in the knees. This is when I knew I was doomed, for I realized I could fall in love with another human being simply for their odor.

Art note: Esther before Ahasuerus (detail), ca. 1628–35. Artemisia Gentileschi (Italian [Roman], 1593–1651/53).

Addendum: 3:45pm With some Dzongkha on my wrist and behind my ear, I am in nearly in love with myself. It elicits no memories or imagery for me, but is nonetheless beautiful. Perhaps what I've said before is all wrong. I don't need a cinematic or Proustian experience to like a fragrance. Dzongka is just beautiful. This is one of those fragrances that proves to me that natural does not make a better scent. This wood is not "real" and I like that. Cedar, yes, but not so much that I smell like something other than a human being. I ask you: does that make sense?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You asked me, does that make sense? Yes, that makes sense! I've swooned for only 3 perfumes in my life. I know exactly what you are referring to - during that swoon you are transported. It's not the specific notes, it's the overall impression, the feeling, the perfume makes you feel what one might compare to being high on drugs. In a different place. For me, the scents that have made me swoon are also not particularly natural, by that I meant they don't smell like "roses" or "vanilla" they are works of art. Anything that can make you swoon with one sniff is a work of art. And your first boyfriend...now that is simply a beautiful human experience...