Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Rip-off Alert

If you live in Maine, please be aware of what happened to us: We received 30 gallons of propane from Maritime Energy, our usual company, on Friday, December 5th. We had to pay in advance, which is a change from the past.

We just got the receipt in the mail. We were charged $4.05 a gallon for the propane. According to the Associated Press, the Governor's office states that the average price for propane in Maine on December 1st was $2.85.

I don't know how many other companies are ripping off their customers. Here in Maine, you can't switch companies easily if you use propane. You use a particular company's tank. It belongs to them. Another company can't come fill it up. I could have asked the price, but I had no suspicions that I was about to be ripped off. If I had known, I would have had to ask them to remove the tank, call another company, and have them install theirs.

Here's what they have to say for themselves on their website: "Maritime's Mission: To provide friendly, reliable service and quality products at fair prices to assure customer satisfaction and loyalty."

Addendum: We'd like to report this to whatever authority one reports such things to. I guess Maritime Energy doesn't use Google Alerts! Maidenform most certainly must. Their customer service is excellent beyond the call of duty and I will write about it at length some time. I wasn't even that "upset" about my non-optimal bra! But, I am angry about being ripped off by my local propane supplier. Have I heard from them? Not a word. I was a bit anxious about posting this. Dick and I double checked the facts above, just in case they had any issues with me writing this. I have written the facts and just the facts, ma'am. Of course, I have also written that I'm bothered by the facts, but there's nothing wrong with that, as far as I know.

No comments: