Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dakota prefers Jicky


On Friday, a friend was over, and I told her about how Jicky had perked me up. She'd never sniffed it, so she did, and put a bit on her wrist. I also mentioned to her that I was enjoying Sarah Jessica Parker's Covet, much to my surprise, and that I had picked up an ounce of it at TJ Maxx for five bucks. So, she put a bit of that on her other wrist.

She told me that when she got home, her dog, Dakota, kept sniffing the wrist with Jicky on it. She completely ignored the Coveted wrist.

Jicky has a basenote of civet. It can't be the real thing for it's no longer 1889. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. But the scent molecule for civet is there. Can Dakota recognize that? Or perhaps Dakota just prefers Jicky,for she's a dog of very good taste.

As for my reviewing Covet, I won't. I seem to have lost the ability to say more than "I like it" or "I don't like it."

Today's scent is Annick Goutal's Encens Flamboyant. I like it.

Photo note: Dakota, with a cow's hoof in her mouth.

6 comments:

jmcleod76 said...

Aww! Who's a good doggie? Are you a good doggie? Yes you are ...

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Anyway, last week, BitterGrace send me a package of samples, and my little guy, Dewey, was fascinated by them. Told BG about it, and she replied "I bet your pup is sniffing after Cuba, which is quite a melange--sweet, spicy, green, animalic, etc."

I tried it that night and, sure enough, it smelled like something hunters should rub on the trees to lure deer. Not bad, but certainly something that might interest a dog.

TMC said...

Not being a parfumista (or whatever ya'll scentists are called), is it pronounced 'Jicky' like icky w/ a j, or something continental like 'yicky'?

BitterGrace said...

I think it is pronounced "Zhi-kee." Accent on the first syllable, with the "i" sound as in the French ici, more or less. At least, that's the way all the perfume freaks I know say it.

I'm sure there's nothing animal-sourced in the current Jicky, but I also find that my dogs are very interested in musky, animalic perfumes, and in any 100% natural perfumes. They go crazy around Anya McCoy's stuff. Their noses are so much more sensitive than ours, who knows what they're smelling?

Anonymous said...

Dakota here! First off, I'm a guy. Yes, I'm a VERY manly dog as you can see from the big bone hanging out of my mouth. (Thanks for posting my portrait Julie - I'd like to know how many ladies are swooning over my dark "chocolate" magnetism)? I'm also FAR more handsome in the fur/flesh. And talk about a "nose". Mine is VERY LARGE - wink, wink! Since you humans have such a negligible sense of smell I'm willing to send in some REAL fragrance reviews. You have no idea of the nuance and complexity of scent that we hounds enjoy. Ah Jicky - the top notes so reminiscent of a refreshing dip in the river while in pursuit of a stick. The middle notes are not unlike the compelling outdoor "splash" of a saucy bitch (and I mean that with the utmost respect - I'm a gentleman through and through). Now the base notes, ah, a very slight but perfectly balanced sun-baked, muskiness of raccoon carcass. It would be my pleasure to be your guide while we explore the immense, multilayered, exquisitely pungent world of scent!

chayaruchama said...

Dakota will be mine...oh, yesssss.
Kisses to Dewey, too.

I'm all for animalic-
And Dakota, I've even eaten coons myself- when called upon-
In order to be a polite guest.

Anonymous said...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrow! Chayaruchama darling - where have you been all my life?! Care to go on a midnight compost roam?