Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A (sort of) unapologetic post about Palin


This is not political analysis. If I'm being judgmental, point it out to me. I don't think I am. When I watched the following on TV, my mouth was hanging open:

COURIC: And when it comes to establishing your world view, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this — to stay informed and to understand the world?

PALIN: I’ve read most of them again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media —

COURIC: But what ones specifically? I’m curious.

PALIN: Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me over all these years.

The McCain camp thinks this is yet another "gotcha!" question. No, it's a very simple question. The fact that Palin needs to sidestep this one boggles my mind.

Why couldn't she answer this? If she had, I wouldn't be wondering why she needed to evade it. So, now I have to ask - did she:
a.)Never read any magazines or newspapers?
b.)Think that whatever she has read would be too embarassing to mention?
c.)Think that being informed is a waste of time?
d.)Truly believe she's read "all of them"?

I've got a coffee table in front of me right now with many unread magazines on it. I am unafraid to tell you what's there: Newsweek, The New Yorker, The Smithsonian, National Geographic, Yoga Journal, Wine Spectator, Interweave Knits and Piecework.

C'mon, why couldn't she answer this question? If she really doesn't read, she should state why. Some people don't. They're busy. They get others to tell 'em what's up. George W. Bush is unapologetic about this. Perhaps Palin was told, "Don't sound like Bush, whatever you do!"

Evasion is never a good tactic. It only raises questions, as in this case, where I never would have believed I'd be ruminating about what Palin reads or doesn't.

I do think it's highly important for a world leader to be more informed than the average citizen. That's another reason why this particular exchange scares me.

I don't think it's wrong for me to point this out. I'm not making fun of Palin, nor calling her any names.

Painting note:Rik Wooters (this link is in Dutch) 1882-1916

Here's a webpage devoted to paintings of women reading (where I found the Rik Wooters painting). Interesting collection, to say the least.

No comments: