Friday, February 6, 2009

Hallmark update


Much to my surprise, I received an e-mail from Hallmark today. It's nice to know that occasionally something one does can have a positive affect. But this was beyond any of my expectations:

"My name is Deidre Mize, I work at Hallmark in Public Affairs and Communications.

I noticed your recent blog posting about one of Hallmark’s Valentine’s Day commercials and wanted to respond.

When creating this commercial we wanted to show that love can be expressed in a number of creative, economical and heartfelt ways, including Mom’s voice in a valentine.

As is our normal practice, our marketing team tested this commercial before it aired among consumers, including mothers. These consumers responded favorably, so we appreciate receiving different points of view like the one you shared on your blog.

With this new perspective from you and others we have decided to stop airing the advertisement. Please understand that it will take time to fully remove the commercial from the air but that we have begun the process and are working as expeditiously as possible.

Hallmark is about helping people connect. We are continually learning about the intricacies of these connections, and your perspective will help us to look at this differently in the future.

Thank you for your time and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments. As I mentioned, perspectives like yours are important to us."

Image note: Valentine's Day postcard, circa 1900

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Julie, that's great to see this kind of action taken on the account of your blog post. You go girl!
BTW, I'm still reading, just don't have much time to comment. Stay warm.
Nika

BitterGrace said...

That's great! It's easy to get the idea that there's no way to influence the media/consumer juggernaut, but here you've pretty much stopped it in its tracks with a blog post. Good work.

jmcleod76 said...

You go, girlfriend! You're on a roll ... first Maidenform, now Hallmark. Too bad the government's not as receptive as the market ...

Julie H. Rose said...

Jaime, if only!

I think it's a very good bet that Hallmark got a lot of complaints. That ad hit a nerve in me and it appears I am not alone.

Hallmark, of course, wants to project a good image.

Unfortunately, the U.S. Senate is not as concerned with such things. . .

TMC said...

I wonder what David Denby would think of this. :)

Well done!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what's worse - your ultra-sensitivity or the fact that Hallmark is bending to the will of people with no backbone.

Country Mouse said...

Wow Julie, that is TOTALLY amazing. I am dumbstruck! Viva la Revolucion! AND "Anonymous" is another in a long line of cranks looking to boost their self esteem by throwing around nasty slurs . How about a little civil discourse instead "Anonymous"?