Monday, January 21, 2013

An instance of cyberbullying

There was a talk about cyberbullying at my local library this week. I learned of it after the fact and am sorry I missed it.

I've been a little too aware of cyberbullying recently in my own life. During the last month, I've thought and said on more than one occasion "I'm glad I'm not a kid!" I was bullied quite badly in elementary school and I know how harmful it is. This may make me "oversensitive" or "sensitive" to it in adult life.  I don't find it all that hurtful now, but I'm usually shocked by it. Why on earth do people think it's okay?

Yesterday I almost "liked" a public page on Facebook for a cause I thought was worthy. I was perusing the page and came upon a post that I found offensive and irrelevant to the cause, so I left a comment. My comment did not accuse, but only asked some questions. The important thing to understand, after the fact, is that I was offended and confused because I did not get a joke. This makes me an open target for bullying:

"LOL you know this is a joke right? . . .to be honest if you are this uptight and PC I dont want your crazy ass here thanks good bye.  . .your confused still aren't you LOL try switching your toothpaste to no floride"

I copied this exactly as it was with a reference to the "in joke"removed. There's no sense in complicating this.

This is bullying to those of us who are bullied.

Those who know me know I'm neither particularly uptight or politically correct. However, even if I was, should I be told that my crazy ass isn't wanted or that I should switch my toothpaste?

This is really sad because the page I wanted to like was one for a good cause. I don't want to get into a public dispute, so I'm not telling what it is though I really would like to. Maybe people who publicly mistreat and tease people who are confused, don't get their jokes, are sensitive or over-sensitive should be outed. I don't know. What I do know is that I have a number of other incidents of late that I'd like to write about, and I will.

5 comments:

TMC said...

Some people on social media are so immature and insensitive!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Julie,
As usual, your posts are fascinating. I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading them - how enlightening and thought-provoking they are. (By the way, this is Country Mouse). My condolences are also in order - I hope beyond hope that your health can & will improve - some way, any way, I'll even wish for a miracle on that one. I don't know if you have the ability or interest to continue your blog. What I do know is that you would have so much to say - ideas and concepts of great worth that can only come from YOU. I can't imagine I am the only one who feels this way. Your voice, especially now, is so vital AND so necessary. It establishes sanity to this topsy-turvy world. It truly does make a difference, no matter how large the audience may be. If continuing to write here is an impossibility, I understand. If you do have the interest and energy/health/well-being to continue I think it would be a tremendous gift to our community - an ability to understand things from a perspective only you can provide. My best to you always! Your voice has resonance and meaning beyond measure. Please know how much it is appreciated!

Julie H. Rose said...

Um, Country Mouse, thank you for your thoughts. I'm more than a bit stunned that you find such worth in my thoughts. I know I can be "thought provoking," but "enlightening?" To you?

To all the 3 or 4 people who bother to read this almost abandoned blog, this is a personal thing, and the fact that it's being played out in such a public arena is interesting indeed.

Thank you for your wishes, too. I have always wished you well, y'know. May we both be well@